Tuesday, October 29, 2013

FILTER BUBBLES

a) What new information did you learn from the video?
- I learned that Facebook, Google, and other search engines tailor search results for their users. I had no idea that search results differed for every person!
b) How does this information make you think differently about what you see online? 
- This information makes me feel like there is a whole lot that I'm missing out on. I do not like the idea of Google filtering what I do and do not get to see. What if I'm missing out on something that can potentially be useful or important?
c) What questions does this video raise about the Internet in general?
- How/Why does the Internet know so much about my preferences? Do I really control what I'm searching online? 
d) How can you improve the effectiveness of your searches?
- I can improve the effectiveness of my searches by using a variety of different search engines as well as by being more specific with my searches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment