Tuesday, September 24, 2013

CANTERBURY TALES (I)

After today's discussion in class, I was able to understand that the prologue of The Canterbury Tales was based on the concept of the pilgrimage, as well as the descriptions of all of the characters who had taken part in the pilgrimage. Geoffrey Chaucer used irony to ultimately describe his characters throughout the entire prologue. I honestly was unable to recognize Chaucer's use of irony when describing his characters, until after our class discussion. The nun was described as a materialist through the use of irony. While the cook was described as a disgusting individual who had ulcers; someone who you wouldn't even want near your food.
I would like to read either the story of the nun or the cook. I feel like reading their stories would be very interesting due to the fact that the nun was described as materialistic, which is not exactly what many expect a nun to be characterized as; and the cook simply because he was the only character in which I was able to understand when reading the prologue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment