Sunday, February 23, 2014

BRAVE NEW WORLD ESSAY TOPIC

PROMPT:
Select a novel, play, or epic in which a character experiences such a rift and becomes cut off from “home,” whether that home is the character’s birthplace, family, homeland, or other special place. Then write an essay in which you analyze how the character’s experience with exile is both alienating and enriching, and how this experience illuminates the meaning of the work as a whole. You may choose a work from the list below or one of comparable literary merit. Do not merely summarize the plot.

STRATEGY:
- I would begin by selecting a character from Brave New World that experiences a rift and becomes cut off from "home."
- I would address the character's birthplace/special place (being the factory in the novel).
- Since we are only on chapter 5 of the novel, I would try my best to analyze as well as identify examples where the character I selected had alienating/enriching experiences with exile.
- And I would address/identify how the character's experience illuminates the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment